Sunday, June 9, 2013

Everybody Hurts, Sometimes

My initial response to hardship is anger. This is a recent realization, although in retrospect I can see that anger has coursed through my veins for years, pulsing with purpose whenever life lets me down. It makes me a perplexing anomaly, since I generally think myself to be a positive, easy-going and happy person. But when life hands me lemons, my first response is not to make lemonade, but rather to load those lemons into a baseball pitching machine and catapult them straight back in life's face while yelling offensive expletives. My anger is a dormant beast awaken very seldom, but when it's lanced with disappointment the beast is ruthless and full of spite. In this regard, I have come to find it more difficult to identify and harness my reactionary anger because it is masked so purposefully by a blanket of happiness. While tragedy has left me raw and self-aware, I am slowly realizing that in some ways, I am moored in a port of adolescent bitterness.

I recently endured an early miscarriage. I was only 8 weeks pregnant-so early that I almost feel silly for having such an emotional attachment to the blueberry-sized sea monkey. I had always been somewhat apathetic towards women who experienced an early loss of pregnancy. After all, I thought, the fetus was still just an amassment of cells and not yet a decipherable human baby. What I didn't take into account was the excitement that inevitably follows a positive pregnancy test- wondering whether it will be a boy or a girl, thinking up possible names, giddily whispering the new secret to your family and closest friends, imagining its face and dreaming about holding its tiny, warm body in your arms. Those thoughts are what bind us to the tiny bean growing in our bellies, regardless of its negligible size or inhuman appearance. Those thoughts cannot be rationalized away with biological explanations of its unachievable future. And then in an instant, those thoughts are purged from your body and you're left with an empty feeling in your stomach where the excitement of new life once lived.

When I realized I was miscarrying, my immediate reaction was not sorrow, but anger. I berated myself, because surely there was something I could have done to avoid this. I was angry at my husband for not having to endure the physical cycle of wholeness and emptiness in his gut. I was angry at the tiny baby for not keeping its heart beating. But mostly, I was angry at God.

It wasn't a logical anger, because had I viewed things rationally I would have understood that 30% of pregnancies are miscarried and my situation was no different from the millions of other women who suffer early miscarriages. But somehow, I felt it was a personal vendetta against me. "Make me grow up watching my little brother suffer through leukemia, then let me watch my father die a slow death, then take away my new future child," I thought as I yelled into my pillow. I was angry at God for allowing bad things to happen, when all I should have been doing was asking him for comfort. But I didn't, and the pain and rage endured.

The sadness came later, as did the realization of my misplaced anger and the knowledge that I have a lot to work on.

In my sporadic moments of anger, I forget that everything good in my life has come from God. I turn my back on him in an instant and persecute him for not making my life perfect. I hate him for allowing me to endure pain. I forget that the greatest lessons I have learned in life- that my growing compassion for others and budding self-awareness- have all been the result of enduring trials. I refuse to see that God has a plan for me, and enduring pain and suffering is ultimately part of life's beauty.

I want my father to be alive. I want to erase the memories of watching my little brother suffer when he was so young. I wish I had never felt the hollow hopelessness of depression. I want the baby back in my body. But to be honest, I wouldn't retract any of the invaluable lessons I have learned from abiding through those difficult times. That is what I need to remind myself whenever I want to punch a wall and curse God for letting life run its course. That is what I must remember when I feel the angry beast stirring in my breast.

In the end, life's beauty is only felt when we know what it means to hurt. And I guess that will make my next baby all the more cherishable.

7 comments:

  1. Life is a hard taskmaster as if you didn't know that already.

    We get little breathers along the way so life is bearable, but I am pretty sure a shoe will drop that is going to throw me for another loop.
    Timing is never what you can figure out on your own, but only with the clock continually forging ahead are we ever able to gain perspective. I live for perspective like never before.

    We are all a work in progress; some work goes easier than others and sometimes we are thinking "I am pretty sure I learned this lesson awhile back".

    I did have a comment about your miscarriage. Not ever having one, I cannot look at it from where you are. My son, Grady and his wife miscarried identical twins a year or two ago and through them I gained an appreciation for the difficulty and severity of that happening. They were (are) devastated, because they wanted those babies and there is not much another party can say to help it feel better. You soldier on and pray that the Saviour who feels and weeps with all wounds can help you cope.

    You think deeply Steph, and you know we all endure pain. All I can think to say is that you pick yourself back up and go another round. . . I try to do that more often now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Marilyn. It is a very difficult thing to deal with, and I think being open and honest about the pain miscarriage causes is a good path to healing. My mother had 3 miscarriages, and each time the doctors treated it like no big deal. I think we have to grieve as though we lost a child. And, like you said, the Saviour can help with the pain of grief.

      Thanks again for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I want you to know how much I (we) appreciate you talking about your experience. As my wife and I went through our first miscarriage, we were swarmed with mixed messages about whether or not you're supposed to talk about a pregnancy before the 2nd trimester, whether or not you're supposed to talk about miscarriages, or whether or not you're "allowed" to feel like your world just broke because the baby was only 10 weeks old and your wife never looked pregnant.

    Thanks for telling some of your story, and please know that we have you and your little family on our minds all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matty,

      I remember when you guys had to go through that tough time. It's a tricky thing to deal with. It's a lot more difficult than people allow. You're expected to just shrug it off, but the memory of your future baby lingers on.

      Thanks for expressing your appreciation. Writing this post has helped me, and it means a lot that you can relate.

      Delete
  3. oh steph i am sorry. Im sad for you. I never knew how hard it would be to miscarry, I remember being so angry. Angry that I felt empty, angry that some people didnt even want their babies and I WANTED mine and couldn't keep mine, angry that my friends weren't there for me, angry that I felt alone, angry at the lame/insensitive comments people would make, angry that I almost bled to death, angry that I ran so much, cause clearly it was my fault (at least thats how I felt), the list goes on and on. I went through stages of bitterness.. why was everyone pregnant? stages of pure sadness, and stages of anger. It took my getting pregnant to be somewhat ok.. I was so scared my whole pregnancy, when I held Matix for the first time I couldnt stop crying because finally I could believe he was mine and I got to keep him. I can finally say I am so grateful for my experience, I now know what it feels like to long for a baby so bad that you cant function, hopefully one day I can help a friend down the road when they are going through something similar and be more sympathetic. Im so sorry im sad for you. its not fair. love you and im thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. third to last paragraph is so perfect. such a necessary reminder for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this part of your life and honest experience, Steph...

    ReplyDelete