Monday, April 22, 2013

A Tender Balance

Lately I feel as though I've been drowning in a sea of self-imposed pressure to 'do something' with my life. I seem to be clumsily treading in the waters of 'just making it', never able to lift my head high enough to take a breath of satisfaction. Where there once lived an insatiable drive to pursue every opportunity handed to me, I find myself eating cookies and reading Glamour magazine in my spare time. My justification is "what could I possibly accomplish in this hour I have to myself?" When my answer is "nothing productive", I get out the Costco tub of Pillsburry cookie dough and sit on the Lazy Boy. "I deserve this", I tell myself. But don't I deserve more?

I peruse Pinterest and the blogosphere and encounter women who are mothers of 4 with successful careers and beautifully decorated homes, who just happen to have made homemade Gatorade for their sick children. And I feel wholly inadequate.

I am a waitress.

My house looks like a Goodwill poster.

And I can't even keep it clean.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being a mother, and I have found more satisfaction in the calling of motherhood than any other job or degree could offer me. I look at my daughter's sleeping face and know that if I did nothing else with my life, having loved and raised her would be enough. Still, I can't help but shake this pervasive feeling that I could be more productive with my time, and that my window to seize the moment is quickly coming to a close. Women are becoming more successful at a younger age, and it leaves me feeling as though my prime is slipping into the periphery.

This self-inflicted sense of persecution contrasted against my lack of ambition follows me around everywhere I go. It seeps into my pores, leaving me feeling unsatisfied in the happiest of moments. I see resentment creeping into my veins. I hear my voice growing curt and abrasive with Harper. I am unable to be in the moment, because I'm always thinking about what more fulfilling things the moment could bring. And so, in the pursuit of 'something more', I end up with less.

Today, I woke up with renewed resolve, and a new perspective on what it means to be accomplished. I proverbially shook myself by the shoulders and shouted "You're not past your prime. You're not getting too old. You're not a Pinterest perfect mom. But you have a beautiful, happy family. Be okay with it."

I have decided to enjoy each moment, whether that means making Play-Doh pizzas on our scuffed wood floors, or writing a book, or eating a chocolate chip cookie while watching New Girl, or analyzing current affairs, or laying in bed with my husband and daughter on a sunny Sunday morning. I will no longer allow myself to give in to the choking anxiety that accompanies the thought "what more could I be doing?"

I will allow myself to believe that there is a season for everything, and that opportunities and 'success' will come in time. I will not give in to the counter-productive logic that an hour isn't enough. I will strive to use those sporadic hour sessions to do something fulfilling while still allowing myself guilt-free magazine and cookie sessions. Because I deserve to relax. But I also deserve feeling accomplished, productive and satisfied.

Most importantly, I will remember that raising my child in love and peace is more meaningful than having a blog-worthy home, or being published in the New York Times, or any other temporal gauge of success.

Today I have come to believe that it is in the sacrificial act of motherhood that we come to find the tender balance between selflessness and self worth.



7 comments:

  1. i am speechless and proud.
    I ,too feel that I waste a lot of time and could be a lot more productive with my time at this time in my life!
    Keep us up to date with your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I know that I have never commented on your blog before...but I wanted to say Amen.
    Honestly I feel the same way but as a Single almost 30 year old who doesn't have the fulfillment of motherhood. I feel often that what I'm doing isn't enough and I often feel self-imposed guilt that I'm not a mother, that I don't own a non-profit, that I'm not working for world peace, or coming out with an album. I look around (thanks to FB, instagram, and pinterest and blogs) and think, I wanted that for my life.
    But I've learned that happiness and fulfillment for me come one day at a time. When I focus on the now and not the what could have been or what will be. I'm no where near what I wanted to be for a lot of reasons. But I am happy. And I am hopeful. And I am still figuring out my balance between selflessness and self worth. Thanks for the post. Your instagrams of Mothering make me happy and hopeful. You're great. Truly.
    Sarah Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i've only stumbled across your blog a few times, but this one got me - i'm hooked. i'm a new mom, and i recently quit the dream job i had to pursue my new dream job of being a stay-at-home mom. i loved this post. thanks for sharing those feelings and thoughts. i know i've only been at this for a short time, but i can already relate, and i needed this pep talk. it's nice to know i'm in good company, and that we're all gonna make it, even when the mind monsters make us think we're blowing it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph. You don't know me...I'm a friend of Julie's and she turned me onto your blog awhile ago - I love reading your writing! I want to tell you that as a fellow mother (I am 35 and have 4 kids, 9 and under) it gets better. Really. I struggled with similar feelings - inadequacies, doldrums, extreme restlessness, lack of fulfillment. I am a slow learner and it took me 3 kids to finally get on the mothering bandwagon. It's very weird to say but the most liberating thing in my life has been having many children (many to me, at least). I can't believe I'm writing this! Once I had my third child I could no longer fight motherhood. I couldn't try to wrestle it into an identity I had cooked up...it simply was motherhood and I let it happen. I no longer worry about what I am or am not doing with my time. I read with the kids. We go for walks. We clean. We cook. It's nothing terribly remarkable in a worldly sense and yet I feel so rooted and satisfied and self-aware and confident. It's incredible. My (unsolicited) advice is set aside the preconceived notions of who you are and what you want to be and see what motherhood has to teach you. It's the opposite of what you think is liberating but really, nothing could be more freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steph. You're doing things perfectly. Always put cookies and magazines on your 'to do' list and this will add to the balance of your busy life.

    Everyone crops out the perceived 'crapiness' of their life on facebook, pinterest, instagram...

    Just keep keeping it real. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I often feel like my life isn'y happening fast enough; like I am missing out on 'getting there'. But, what I often have to remind myself is that, once I am wherever I am planning on getting to, I want to have my daughter and husband with me and happy. When I get where I am going, I want to look back on the memories made while getting there - not an empty rush of life.

    This was very refreshing for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete