Saturday, August 4, 2012

Chick-fil-Oh My Goodness This is Getting Ridiculous

Man am I glad that Chick-fil-A doesn't have any franchises on this island. Not that I don't enjoy myself a tender, juicy chicken burger with a side of crispy fries (hold the homemade iced tea). I don't, however, enjoy finding myself caught straddling two sides of a controversy that will never lead to reconciliation. What I learned in adolescence (besides the fact that body piercings cause life-long scarring and that punk is in fact dead) is that public protest usually does little to facilitate communication between two sides of an issue. Instead, it often ratifies groups in their own worldviews and fosters resentment toward "the Other"*. I fully support freedom of expression and applaud activism, but using a fast-food corporation as an effigy of political posturing seems a bit over the top. This whole thing reminds me of the time when anything French was renamed "freedom" in the United States, back in the good ol' Bush days. Don't tell me you didn't feel awkward ordering Freedom Fries at McDonalds, or asking for a Freedom Manicure at the spa.

If you haven't already deduced, I'm an advocate for gay rights in civil society. I don't condone what the president of Chick-fil-A has said regarding gay marriage. I don't agree with donating money to lobby against gay marriage. I also try to respect the freedom of speech, and the liberty to spend money as one sees fit. My somewhat ambivalent stance on the Chick-fil-A topic isn't a reflection of my political beliefs, but more the result of an education in conflict analysis. Without boring you with academic rhetoric, I'll try to explain why I believe that public demonstration of opinion exacerbates intolerance. This might also give some context to my feelings towards the LDS church's stance during the Prop 8 campaign.

When we become members of a cohesive group-whether it's through religion, opinion, politics or even sports-we begin to identify ourselves as we. "We believe in aliens". "We think Tom Hardy is a babe". "We like Skittles". As we come to identify with a particular group, our identities cause us to label those outside our group as them. "They don't believe in aliens". "They don't think Tom Hardy is a babe". "They don't like Skittles". "We are not like Them". Of course I'm choosing silly examples that don't stir deep-seeded emotions (unless you're like me and are irrationally afraid of an alien invasion. Or if you don't think Tom Hardy is a babe. That's just crazy). But when the beliefs, opinions and assertions of a group are linked to our deepest sense of what is right and true, we quickly take sides to defend our identity, which leads to ostracism, exclusivity and even hatred.

This is not to say that group identity is intrinsically bad or wrong. There are some people enlightened enough to maintain a strong identity without excluding or judging others. Unfortunately, most of us are so emotionally linked to our group identity that an assertion contradicting our group beliefs is seen as a personal attack, and we get defensive. And when we get defensive, we retreat to our own groups, gather allies, solidify our group identity, and cut off effective dialogue with the "Other". When dialogue is cut-off, conflict escalates into a he-said she-said game of hearsay, until we have such a distorted view that we lose the ability to see humanity in others. This often causes ignorance, intolerance and hatred. This is where war is born.

Bringing it back to Chick-fil-A, are we really so entrenched in our "us" vs. "them" mentality that we think eating or not eating a chicken burger is going to promote our agenda or engender a more tolerant atmosphere between two groups with differing opinions? Do we truly believe that shouting hurtful slogans and wielding signs is going to change the "other's" minds and soften their hearts? In my opinion, the only way to truly reconcile a seemingly irreconcilable debate is to see the humanity in one another, especially within those holding views that contradict our own. Unfortunately, verbal warfare in front of a chain restaurant is not going to foster extra-group hugs and effective communication. Instead, it will only lead both groups (supporting gay marriage/supporting traditional marriage)to justify their insular view of the Other.

Having said all this, I think it's really funny that people are making a point to eat at Chick-fil-A three times a day to show support for the owner's religious views. Next thing you know, Mormons are going to go bankrupt from sleeping at the Marriott (a hotel chain with a Mormon CEO).

Joking aside, what do you think about the Chick-fil-A debate? Are you starving yourself of crispy nuggets or getting fat on fast food and ideology?

This is Tom Hardy. Case in Point.


This is an alien invasion. Scared yet?





*this doesn't necessarily relate to all types of public protest. The Arab Spring protests as well as demonstrations to change public policy are effective ways to give voice to "the people"...Oh wow. I did it. I really did it. I used footnotes in a blog post. I'm such a nerd.

7 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how relieved I am that I not the only person that I know that is irrationally afraid of an alien invasion. Chalk it all up to having been exposed to "Fire in the Sky" at an emotionally-unprepared age. *shutter*

    That being said, I love the statement: "There are some people enlightened enough to maintain a strong identity without excluding or judging others." I mean, I like to think that I am pretty strong in my identity, and I also find it difficult to support agendas that exclude or judge others, even when they are more in-line with my personal beliefs. That stems from an even more deeply-seeded idea of agency.
    So, I'm kind of wanting to identify myself as one-such enlightened (or on my way there atleast.) Maybe that makes me ridiculously arrogant. Now, I may need start a blog entitled: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love my Mormon Narcisstic Identity and Stripper Alter-Ego named Roxy.

    Loved the blog. I feel one step closer to world peace now that i've read it. Thanks for sharing, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I like what you're saying, my main thing isn't taking a side on the issue of marriage, it's more abt Chick fil a as a business meets my criteria for a decent place to dine when I want chicken fried in peanut oil...it doesn't have a negative health grade, it's helpful to have a constant beverage flow when you're dining alone with 2 toddlers etc. I think it's ridiculous to take away their business license for the owners personal views on marriage. It is a little reminiscent of WWII when Jewish businesses were boycotted and had to be marked with the star of David. I wld hope I'd still choose to do business with the Jewish tailor just because he hems a fine pant leg and not bc I agree with him on all points of ideology. It's silly on both ends to use Chick fil a and your patronage as a source of support or conflict over gay/traditional marriage. I go there when the cupboards are bare and I feel like waffle fries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confession... I ate at Chick-Fil-A on the aforementioned "Appreciation Day". This was mostly fueled by a craving for the seasonal peach milkshake but there was a little bit of curiosity. The closest thing I can relate it to is voting in the Republican Primaries in the Mormon town of Laie, Hawaii. There is definitely a feeling that others are looking at you as part of "us" (I actually think we is a pretty inclusive term). You know, it's the "we are good Mormons so obviously we are voting for Romney" look. Now I don't have a problem with being a good Mormon, or with voting for Romney for that matter (undecided), but I resist the notion that the two are necessarily connected.

    With regard to Chick-Fil-A, I agree that it's shady to throw the support of a corporation behind political agendas for the very reason that it erodes the democratic power of the average citizen. However, Google, Amazon, and others are doing the very same thing on the other side of the issue. If we call shenanigans on Chick-Fil-A we need to also call shenanigans on Google and Amazon.

    I have to pose a question. Let's say that The CEO's opposition is a purely moral conviction in sustaining the values of the LDS Church (no prejudice), is he not obligated by covenant to consecrate all things to the building of the Kingdom, the Church and building Zion? We don't know if he is working out of prejudice or moral conviction or both and I don't necessarily agree with his methods. However, I have a hard time blaming a man for trying to infuse his values into any organization within his reach. Whether we agree or not, I would rather have people following their convictions (even if there are disagreements) than live in a world run by corporations without values to guide them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great article (do you call blogs that? :) to get the mind thinking about how to stay on even "solid ground". I believe that this country was founded on many definitions of "higher values". (excessive use of quotation, I know). But, what has become increasingly concerning is the rise of minority against majority to condemn the majority of their beliefs and tear away the values they possess. It is understandable to want equal rights--I have many great and wonderful friends who live on either side of the coin in their relationships. Our opinions are what separates our understanding of each other. and our opinions are what is tearing this world apart. The values are crumbling and to say it is just one action is incorrect. Let us attach ourselves to truth--correct ourselves when we need to be corrected, whether by someone, the spirit, or by rules--and in the end try and live a higher law, one that where we are not the authors and determine the value and weight that it carries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph-I really think you should be a mediator in the conflict between the Quebec government and the striking/protesting students.It has been going on for over 4 months now.
    "we lose the ability to see the humanity in others'. I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom Hardy point, understood. Alien invasion, unlikely but still terrifying. To be honest, I'd pick the middle ground and have one meal (not starve myself but not indulge). I don't think Chick-Fil-A (more like Dan Cathy here) should be ridiculed for an opinion. This is the USA, peeps, if people are allowed to speak out for same-sex rights, why is it bad for the other way?

    People are indeed getting way out of hand over one statement. A couple of valid points to consider:
    1. What do you expect from Mr. Cathy who is a) a Republican and b) a religious Christian with strict beliefs?
    2. By boycotting Chick-Fil-A what are you doing in the long run? Mr. Cathy is a CEO, you're not hurting his wallet in the long run. Who you might be hurting are the lower workers like the cashiers and line workers. Even still, it's a franchise and obviously protests and boycotts are not going to get anywhere.
    3. I doubt Mr. Cathy is going to change his opinion, ever.

    I don't see what the purpose is in the protests; maybe to get more people on one side? But then again, what good will that do? You just make the switch from one "us" to another us" and see the side you just came from as "them". It is quite confusing. Give it some time and it will die down. Honestly, I believe people are using this as an excuse to scrutinize the "other" and put themselves on a pedestal.

    All in all, I'm going to buy a chicken sandwich from whomever, whenever (regardless if they're gay or straight, democrat or republic, Christian or Muslim) as long as the sandwich is good and priced right, thanks to my capitalist upbringing. The more all of this goes down, the more Chick-Ful-Of-It I'm going to become.

    ReplyDelete